본문 바로가기 대메뉴 바로가기

Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science&Technology

News

News

DGIST chose Chairman Young Kuk of Samsung Science & Technology Foundation as Its 4th President

작성자Public Relations Team  조회수2,383 등록일2019-04-04

DGIST chose Chairman Young Kuk of Samsung
Science & Technology Foundation as Its 4th President

DGIST announced on Monday, April 1 that it chose Chairman Young Kuk (66) of Samsung Science & Technology Foundation as its 4th President for a 4-year term.

President Kuk received his bachelor and master’s degrees from Seoul National University Department of Physics and his Ph.D. degree from the Penn State University Graduate School. After, he worked for 10 years as a researcher at AT&T Bell lab and 27 years as a physics professor at Seoul National University. A prominent nano-scientist who has led research for 40 years, he has served as the Chairman of Samsung Science & Technology Foundation, the largest private scientific research funding organization, since 2014.

At AT&T Bell Lab, President Young Kuk became one of the leading nano-scientists by developing Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) that can observe atoms. He was also chosen as one of the top 10 star faculties by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development and Korea Research Foundation in 2006 by publishing various research performances in nano science.

President Young Kuk said “I feel a greater sense of responsibility to be selected as the president of DGIST that faced many fluctuations last year. By making it an institution that everyone can trust, I will do my best for DGIST to contribute to strengthening national competitiveness through the development of science and technology and become a cradle of nurturing talented individuals in future science technologies.”